While it is noble to give someone a distinctive pocket square, you may need to do more. Consider this brief history of a typical pocket square.
1. Don creates a pocket square design.
2. Silk is printed and hemmed by hand in France.
3. You buy the pocket square as a gift for your uncle Greg.
4. Greg unwraps the pocket square and admires the design.
5. Greg puts the pocket square in his sock drawer.
FIFTY YEARS LATER
6. An executor of poor, sad, friendless Greg’s estate discovers the pocket square in Greg’s sock drawer and admires the design.
If only uncle Greg had slipped the pocket square into the breast pocket of his favorite blazer, his whole life could have been different. Instead of a pathetic drudge with an unfulfilling career he could have soared to the pinnacle. His distinctive pocket square would have marked him as a gentleman with flair and refined good taste—a wild spirit no cage could hold. Fame, fortune, friendship his and the accolade within his grasp.
LESSON: To unlock the true potential of a distinctive pocket square, one must wear it. It cannot work its magic in the sock drawer.
P.S. Coincidentally, I have some new pocket squares for sale here.